Friday, November 14, 2008

Essentials for Turning 8 and a Side Note!

I have recently come to the conclusion that life goes by WAY TOO FAST!  I know that EVERYONE says it, and I have even rolled my eyes occasionally, because I always thought we were making the most of our time with the kids.  Well, this upcoming milestone of Nikolas' has put all that "time" I thought I had into perspective.
Last week, Adam and I made our fav drive down to the the Valley.  We LOVE it down there and are even teased about how we go there ALL the time like it's no big deal, but we don't care because we love it, even in the Summer.  
So, back to my story...
 we went to get ALL the essentials for a boy turning 8!  
The shopping excursion for essentials began at the book store.  First on the list, Scriptures, black, a triple and Bible, and a case "Just like Dad's".  I can't begin to put into words the emotions that I felt when we got his scriptures back, with his name engraved on them...I about cried, but then my D.H. made a joke, that we won't get into, and instead, I laughed so hard I cried.  What would I do without Adam to make me laugh!?!? 
Second,on the list Scout Stuff!  Nikolas is sooo excited to start scouts and, even though I am less than thrilled, I am glad that he's so excited.
There is no better place to get Scouting Stuff than at the Boy Scout Store and let me tell you, I felt a little, who am I kidding, A LOT overwhelmed, but I survived.  There was a nice lady who, when I told her
 "I want whatever a boy needs to start cub scouts",
managed to get me out of the store in 15 minutes!  It was a good thing my D.H. was there to help...whatever, he made me laugh again, only this time I laughed so hard that I'm sure the lady thought I was going to pee my pants!
After surviving the Scout Store, we headed home.  We were hoping to save all of of 
Boy Turning 8 Essentials
for Nikolas' birthday, but Riley saw the bags and wasted no time telling Nikolas that we got his scriptures and scout stuff!  That Stinker!
This led to a discussion about his scriptures, how long he'll have them for, if he can write in them, all of that stuff and then, Nikolas spent the rest of the night reading his scout book!  He is now more excited than ever to turn 8 and start scouts.
I, on the other hand, am left wondering where the time has gone?  My son is almost 8 and I am turning into "the Mom".  It's like my name has become a 4-letter-word.  I am not "COOL" anymore...he has his buddies for that!  I thought that I would have more time, but I was wrong. Sometimes, I feel like all I'm just the taxi driving, homework helping, snack making, MOM!  And just when I feel like he's getting too old for his mom, he stays home from the hockey game to spend time with me or wants me to tuck him in at night (not every night, just every once in a while!).  So, I take my time with him in bits these days, but I cherish every bit he gives me!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I can't imagine having a boy turning EIGHT!!! Time is seriously so crazy. We are counting down the days!! So I've got a question...you keep referring to Adam as D.H.....Kyle and I had a little discussion. I told him you meant, well, you know, damn husband (is that appropriate that i typed that on your blog?!!?) but Kyle said I'm sure she means "dear" husband. i said if Erin is referring to Adam, guarantee she is saying damn!!

Erin Campbell said...

Unfortunately, you lose, Brittany. If I am going to say Damn Husband, I will type DAMN HUSBAND! If I type D.H. I mean DEAR, of course!

Amber said...

Yeah, I would have had to agree with Brittany on that argument too, so I would have lost as well. I was talking to Adam just the other day about the boys. I still can't believe all these grown up things with Nikolas, then Adam was telling about Riley and how he is becoming quite academic and really into school. Rebel Riley? Our family is getting too old too fast!