Thursday, October 16, 2008

How We Spent Our Fall Break!

First of all, I would like to say that I HATE Fall Break.  So, this year, I decided to put the kids, and my Dear Husband, to work.  We spent the week covered in paint or sawdust or both, the boys were bed-less for 6 days (Riley got in trouble and I told him to go to his bed, he yelled back,  "I DON'T HAVE A BED!"   
I couldn't help but laugh), and when it was all said and done, all the boys wanted to know was:
 "How much money did we earn?"  REALLY!?!?!
This is how my week went:
MONDAY:  Prep the boys furniture for new paint...clear out room...clean out boy's closet...take ALL pictures off walls...  the boys cleaned out their drawers and toy buckets.  
TUESDAY: Paint furniture...this quickly became the bane of my existence this week because even with a primer, it took 7 coats of paint to cover completely...clean carpet and walls in boys room, Adam patched holes and touched up the walls with paint...
  WEDNESDAY:  Continue painting furniture...get LUMBER for BUNKBEDS...the boys were very excited to go to the hardware store and get the wood for their new beds. 
THURSDAY: Finished PAINTING!!!...Start sanding the wood...clean out closet in Nate's room...get rid of clothes that is TOO small (this seems to happen often with him...he's getting too 
big too fast!)...organize closets.
FRIDAY:  Organize the boys room...put clothes in dressers...get the MOUNTAIN of laundry washed and put away...Adam started the BUNKBEDS!
Saturday:  Finish BUNKBEDS!!!  My D.H. stayed home from the soccer games and put the beds together, with a bit of help from the boys.
Sunday:  On the 7th day, He rested!
As you can see, we had quite the mess in our garage all week...
 Nikolas is using a mallet to help push the screws through the holes...
 My D.H. COVERED in sawdust...it took 3 showers to get him clean and 3 washes to get all his clothes clean!
 Adam is sawing the excess off the top of the bunkbeds...he is using a circular saw, but it is only a 2 inch blade and the wood was 4x4, so he had to get creative and saw around all 4 sides, not as easy as it sounds...I was a bit nervous!  Thankfully, there were no lost limbs!
The FINISHED PRODUCT!!! 
I have to say that I am so proud of my Dear Husband...I can't remember when the last time was that he used a drill or saw and I don't think he'll be doing any kind of Handy Hubby projects for a LONG time, but the beds look great and we have so many memories of working together.  I don't really even mind the fact that I couldn't feel my right arm for a few days because of all the sanding, priming, painting, staining, and lifting.  
Now comes the task of re-decorating the boy's room...SHOPPING!!! 

3 comments:

Amber said...

Riley is hilarious.
What a big week. . . you guys have been busy. You're always brave to take on such big jobs, but I bet their furniture looks great. And wow Adam, I'm impressed. I forgot how handy he can be. . .the bunkebeds look great!

Brittany said...

Good job Adam!! The beds look awesome! Sounds like a busy week! It's so fun to get projects like that done though! I'm sure the boys loved being such big helpers too!

brownymama said...

Awesome! He did a great job on the bunkbeds! I can't wait to come see them in person. Ya'll had a busy week!